Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 15:53:14 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Maria Isabel Reyes Ramirez <reyesr@ixtchel.cs.buap.mx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 12:56:15PM +0000, Maria Isabel Reyes Ramirez wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I love FreeBSD, I have a question:
> can I install FreeBSD with Windows 2000 in de same machine?

Yes, of course.  But you should note here that Win2K is in the nasty
habbit of overwriting your MBR when they are installed, which has the
interesting side-effect of wiping away the FreeBSD boot loader if you
have installed FreeBSD first.

What I usually do is install Win2K first, in a disk that has 3
partitions, with the first partition being a 100 Mb BSD slice, the next
being one Win2k partition, and the rest of the disk in another BSD
slice.  After Win2k is installed in the second partition, I install BSD
and let it write it's own boot0 block in my MBR.

I had no problems with this setup with FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE ->
4.1-STABLE, and Windows versions ranging from Win95 to Win2k.

- giorgos