Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 2009 10:34:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Simon Griffiths <simon.griffiths@tenenbaum.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Issues with make -j option on ports

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009, Simon Griffiths wrote:

> I seem to get errors with quite a few ports if I use the make -j option.

Building with multiple jobs is part of the ports system for several
months now.  See the MAKE_JOBS variables in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk.
Overriding that with -j is going to try to force ports that aren't
multiple-job-safe, probably causing the problems you're seeing.

The preferred number of jobs defaults to the number of CPUs.  That
can be overridden with MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER.

> The errors surround multiple make commands not getting the files it expects
> in order.  Is this the correct behaviour?
>

> make -j 8 install clean
>
> install  -s -o root -g wheel -m 555
> /usr/ports/net/boinc_curses/work/boinc_curses-0.1.9/boinc_curses
> /usr/local/bin/
>
> install: /usr/ports/net/boinc_curses/work/boinc_curses-0.1.9/boinc_curses:
> No such file or directory
>
> *** Error code 71
>
> ===>  Cleaning for boinc-client-6.4.5_4

boinc-client has MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE= yes in its Makefile.