Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 21:22:35 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Bhishan Hemrajani <bhishan@cytosine.dhs.org>, Alex Kwan <alexkwan@pacific.net.hk>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting immediatle - skip Hit [Enter] or wait 9 seconds

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 07:36:38AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 12-Apr-00 Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 07:16:19 -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> >
> >> What makes you think /boot/loader.conf isn't being read?
> >
> > Mark said that he has autoboot_delay="1" or some such in
> > /boot/loader.conf but that the countdown persists.
>
> Did he use 'set autoboot_delay'?  You can't use 'set' in
> loader.conf.  Mark, can you post your /boot/loader.conf
> file?  It should be short. (Mine's all of 3 lines.)

OK, I re-read the manpages relating to booting/loader and I've found
the cause. My /boot/loader.conf just contains:

    autoboot_delay="2"

What were missing though were the 2 lines

     include /boot/loader.4th
     start

from /boot/loader.rc. This may be a historical accident but my
loader.rc has just contained

    load /kernel
    load vesa
    load -t userconfig_script /kernel.config
    load -t splash_image_data /dawn.bmp
    load splash_bmp
    autoboot

which I have had since splash screens were first introduced (3.1?).
ISTR that I had to create the file; if one existed I certainly
wouldn't have deleted anything the system had put there. One of the
manpages states that make installworld will only install a loader.rc
if one doesn't exist.

When was the requirement for

     include /boot/loader.4th
     start

introduced? Anyway, now that I've added these 2 lines the modified
countdown works :) FWIW setting it to 1 is too short, it appears not
to pause at all; 2 (just) allows time to catch it.

Thanks for the help guys.

--
        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX