Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:10 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE 4.4.2

ajtiM wrote:

> On Friday 23 April 2010 13:39:44 Bruce Cran wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 07:58:12PM +1200, Andrew Hill wrote:
>> > Hi does anyone know if kde 4.4.2 is in freebsd ports?
>>
>> It's not yet - a big upgrade to Xorg and KDE is being worked on so I
>> guess it'll be available in a few days.
>>
> ...and again my question: why upgrade on 4.4.2 after two months if 4.4.3
> coming out in the end of the month?? The version 4.4 was out in February
> 9th!

Because the release of this software on FreeBSD does not happen on the same
day as KDE releases it. It has to be patched and ported by people who are
volunteering their free time. These patches are needed to make compiling and
running KDE on FreeBSD a worthwhile experience. This takes time.

A lot of third party apps are not as 100% portable as they could be, and
many contain a lot of 'Linuxisms' which need to be adjusted out.

So do not look at the release dates on the KDE site and think that because
KDE x.y.z is released by KDE on xx somemonth that it will magically appear
in the FreeBSD ports immediately. This stuff has to be patched first.

-Mike