Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 12:16:38 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, paul@freebsd-services.com, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: helping victims of terror

Terry Lambert said on Sep 29, 2001 at 21:43:41:
> In fact, any country which has a patent system supports the
> idea of regulated monopolies.

Well, ok, but your earlier mail talked about antitrust, and cases
where monopolies were broken up for the good of the economic system.

> Any time you have any regulation whatsoever, you do not have
> a free market: free markets have no constraints.

This is the first time I've heard that.  Most economic literature I've
read, and economists I know, recognise that in the absence of
constraints, monopolies are likely to grow.  The government has a role
in a free-market economy; that role is to provide a level playing
field which enables competition to arise, rather than to dictate to or
control companies and their production.  (I think this goes all the
way back to Adam Smith in the 18th century, actually.)  Antitrust is
part of that role of the government, not a negation of free markets.
Other monopolies, such as railways and post, and your examples of
professional baseball and AT&T (pre-breakup) may exist; no country is
truly free of them, but these are confined to certain sectors in
public infrastructure and don't necessarily invalidate the free market
nature of the other sectors.  I think, in theory, the free marketeers
believe that it is best to open all such sectors to competition too,
but in practice it is difficult and the results may be bad.  These
sectors apart, the US is a free market economy, by any definition I've
read.

Which leads to an example I read of, on why privatisation of such
government monopolies, unless done properly, can be a bad thing: the
Los Angeles tram system.  I can't remember the source, but the story
was that it was sold off, and the car companies got together, bought
it and dismantled it.  (LA is the only city I have seen where there
are more cars than pedestrians, in fact there are places where it's
hard to see any pedestrians at all.)  This is partly an example where
the government did not sufficiently encourage competition (the car
companies had too much power), and a privatisation which foresaw such
possibilities may have worked better; but many privatisation
programmes all over the world have gone awry, usually for different
reasons.  For instance, in Britain there are frequent complaints about
the train system after it was privatised.

> aware of any capitalist country which actually has had a free
> market

That's because your definition of a "free market" doesn't fit anything
I've heard before.