Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 15:12:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Antony Russell <tony@oct.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd and VPN client

On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Antony Russell wrote:

> Using the -v option to natd I have discovered that the connection is setup
> correctly using UDP. Thereafter the VPN client tries to communicate with the
> VPN software with protocol 50 which is defined as ESP (Encapsulating
> Security Payload) in the protocols file. Unfortunately natd does not perform
> any translation on ESP packets and the VPN connection then fails.

This sounds strangely like pptp.

> Can anyone out there tell me why natd behaves like this and if it would be
> possible to change this behaviour. Alternatively, is there another natd like
> application that I could use instead.

The natd in -CURRENT and -STABLE after June 20 has a redirect_protocol
option that you can use to redirect all inbound ESP packets to a specific
internal machine (or vice versa).  That or hack natd/libalias to teach it
how to NAT ESP packets, which is no small feat.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org