Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 18:16:32 -0600
From:      Ben Hockenhull <benh@jpj.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ethernet problem with 2.2.5 and 3C509B

I'm having an interesting problem with a 486DX2/66 running 2.2.5.  I have a
3Com 3C509B NIC in the box, and during ftp sessions > 15 meg from the box
over ethernet, the interface quits responding.  No ping in or out, no
nothing.  The box becomes totally unreachable.

A netstat reveals an ftp connection in FIN_WAIT1, but I have no idea if
that is a result or a symptom.  an 'ifconfig ep0 up' restores connectivity
for a short time, but it inevitably dies again.

Any ideas?  Bad NIC?  (Likely, I need to check.) Obscure issue with 2.2.5
and 3C509B's? (Unlikely, methinks.)

Thanks.

Ben

--