Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 2004 19:53:15 +0000
From:      Andrew Sinclair <syncman@optusnet.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.3-RC2 tar breaks operation with "(null)"

Hi everybodi!

    At work I use a Windows eXPensive machine to gather information and
maintain the web site. I needed to bring some files home and I didn't
have time to setup a proper archiver, so I used cygnus tar to pack them
uncompressed.
    I burned this tar dump onto a CD-RW. I didn't just pack everything
into Nero and let the Toliet^WJoliet file system take care of it because
neither Joliet or Rock Ridge allow files to use the same name even if
they are in different paths. Besides, there are file name size
limitations... I have not even started yet. don't make me.
    I'm using the new tar from 5.3-RC2 to read from the mounted CD-RW.
It seems to have a problem with null blocks, halfway through the archive
in my case. I got this in the output:

bash-2.05b$ tar -xvf /dvdrom/20041116.tgz
x Ocean Care Day/OCD website/Website/OCD Photos/mec cam
pictures/000_0075.jpg
x Ocean Care Day/OCD website/Website/OCD Photos/mec cam pictures/Thumbs.db
x Ocean Care Day/OCD website/Website/OCD Photos/Presentation.ppt: (null)
tar: (null)
bash-2.05b$

    I remembered that tar uses four blocks of 0x00 to indicate the end
of an archive on a sequential device, such as a tape, so I searched the
man page for an option to bypass it. No luck. Of all the problems people
have with defacto standard optical media, I had to run into a software
issue :-\

    I might be able to get around it with another tar but surely the one
included should be able to work around this. Any ideas?

    - syncman0x