Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:49:11 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Subject:   Re: alpha/22650: SCSI cdrom attach problems on 4-stable

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 14:34:19 -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> I updated the PR (22650) with edit-pr, but it doesn't seem to then email
> submitter/responsible person. The short answer is "f/w breakage(?), don't know
> how to fix yet".
>
> mjacob Wed Nov  8 17:08:53 PST 2000
>
> Okay- here's what is happening- the Qlogic f/w is returning an AUTOSENSE
> failure- that is, it's unable to automatically run a request sense
> (reason unknown). So, the CAM status being returned is
>
>         CAM_AUTOSENSE_FAIL
>         CAM_DEV_QFRZN
>
> It's been apparent to me for some time that cam_periph_error should be
> then running an INQUIRY command in this case.

Why an inquiry, if autosense failed?  Don't you mean a request sense?

> What's particularly obnoxious here is that the CD in question doesn't
> actually completely detach- that is, it's pass instance stays, but
> the cd instance won't attach- and this, for some reason, makes it
> impossible to rescan it later.

The reason the device isn't gone is because the pass(4) driver actually
attached successfully.  The problem is that when there is no CD in the
drive, any CDROM drive will return an error in response to a READ CAPACITY
command.

Since autosense is failing, the cd(4) driver can't tell what sort of error
is getting returned (and therefore whether the drive is really accessible),
so it won't attach.

The pass(4) driver doesn't issue any commands to check the device (it
doesn't have any requirements for device functionality beyond the basic
probe code), so it attaches without problems.

Both drivers are doing the right thing from what I can see.

> I don't know why the Qlogic f/w is returning this code, but the fundamental
> problem here is that CAM is broken. And, no, it's not up to each SIM to
> run INQUIRY commands themselves if AUTOSENSE fails.

Don't you mean request sense?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry