Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:05:43 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC: Handbook reorganisation

On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 10:11:06PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> Folks,

>   Move Security out of this part, into both the Applications and Networking
>   parts. The IPFW discussion belongs in "Internet Communications" and the
>   Kerberos and S/Key discussions in "Applications".

Kerberos and S/Key belongs under an explict 'Security' heading
somewhere, I think.  And they're not exactly add-on applications -
especially S/Key is just something you use with the existing apps
(those that support it - I hate the SSH protocol design!)

> Part 4: Network Communications
>
>   Rename to "Serial Communications"
>
>   Split up "Serial Communications" and "PPP and SLIP". Create a "Serial
>   Overview" chapter, and a "Dialling in to remote
>   hosts/receiving calls" chapter.
>
>   These names are misleading. "Serial communications" can, I think,
>   encompass high speed serial lines (i.e., the thing you'd plug into
>   the back of a Cisco router), and you might get to a remote host using
>   methods other than dialling (a hard wired serial line for example).
>   Perhaps "Before using a modem with FreeBSD" is a better title?
>
>   Then a "Using a modem/serial line to talk to remote hosts" chapter?
>   The title is too wordy.

"Using remote serial terminals" or somesuch?  Is this what you mean?

>   This is not quite right -- logically, information about SAMBA should
>   sit in here as well. Or do we need a "NetBEUI" part as well to cover
>   things like that? Or perhaps a couple of chapters, one called
>   "Networking with Windows" and one called "Networking with Macs" or
>   similar? But then that's not really a part of "Internet Communications"
>   which is what this part is about.

SMB fit fine in 'Internet networking', but AppleTalk and IPX/SPX/NCP
does not.  I think a 'Networking with properitary systems' or
'Networking with foreign systems' part might be in order.

> Part 8: Contributing to FreeBSD
>
>   Pull "Contributing to FreeBSD" out of "Advanced Topics" and into its
>   own part (with everything under moving up to chapter level). Under
>   there, reorganise the structure -- in particular, pull out the
>   contents from the existing "How to Contribute" section and make them
>   chapters in their own right. Move the "Source tree guidelines and policies"
>   and "Adding new Kernel Configuration options" from the old Part 4
>   ("Advanced Topics") to under the "Contributing code" section.

I'm hoping to one day have a 'Kernel Hackers Guide' or similar.  I'm
not sure how we should handle that - pull up the 'Contributing code'
to a part 'Working with FreeBSD code' or similar?

> The more I look at this, the more I think that calling the Handbook a single
> DocBook 'book' is a mistake. Having it as a 'set' (which can contain
> multiple books) would be more useful.

How will this affect anybody that want to print the FreeBSD Handbook
as an actual book?  On paper, for sale in the stores...

> Feedback welcomed. And yes, I am the one planning on donning the magic
> hat of handbook editorship, picking up my trusty copy of Emacs (+3 to
> manual dexterity, +3d6 to Control spells, but a massively increased
> chance of a fumble) and fighting the SGML elements at the end of this
> discussion. . .

Thanks!  May I suggest that you attempt to directly solicit chapters
from people, trying to get them to do it stagewise (ie, if the domain
expert don't have time to write a full chapter, at least try to get an
outline of one, etc)?  (I know, it is much easier to be an armchair
general...)

Eivind.