Date:      Fri, 14 May 2004 12:47:48 -0700
From:      Thomas Repantis <"trep.againstspammers."@cs.ucr.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Natively Supported Notebook

--2JFBq9zoW8cOFH7v

Hi Joshua,=20

you might want to take a look at the FreeBSD Laptop Compatibility List: =20
http://gerda.univie.ac.at/freebsd-laptops/

I am happily using FreeBSD on my Thinkpad T40: =20
http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~trep/tsrT40freebsd.html

If you have specific questions about your installation attempts,=20
I'll be happy to help if I can (better keep it off the list though). =20

Cheers!
Thomas

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 09:47:25AM -0700, Joshua Lewis wrote:
> Does FreeBSD have any officially supported laptop?
>=20
> I have been researching FreeBSD for two years now and I do not know why (I
> have never successfully installed and used the OS. Having tried well over
> 40 times) but I want desperately to use it. Now I know there are going to
> be a lot of *nix veterans reading this thinking =93Two years! What are you
> an idiot!=94? Well I am not. Just busy with three kids a wife who would
> rather I be with her then in front of the computer. I don=92t have the $$=
> go buy new hardware every time I want to install a new OS and I know my
> problems boil down to unsupported hardware. I have great computers but
> they are not supported. That sucks so badly.
>=20
> First system =96 Current primary desktop
> Asus A7N8X Deluxe (nForce 2)
> XP 2500+
> Onboard LAN (unsupported)
> MSI nVidia Gforce4TI 4400
> 1GB Corsair memory
> 80GB Western Digital Special Edition(not that that is important)
>=20
> Second System =96 Currently sitting on the floor collecting dust
> Abit A7n-MAX2
> ATI 9500 (I think it has been a while since I built that one. Did they
> make a 9500?)
> 512MB (Don=92t remember the brand of memory)
> 2 80GB Western Digital Special Edition(not that that is important)
>=20
> Third System =96 Running Windows 2000 as my web server
> MSI K7n420 (nForce 1)
> 512MB (Don=92t remember the brand of memory)
> onboard video (nForce)
> onboard LAN (unsupported)
>=20
>=20
> So I have been trying for the longest time to set up a Server and a
> workstation. I am thinking of purchasing a notebook (I really like the
> Alienware Area 51 notebook) and want to have a dual boot system to run my
> business. My ultimate goal to not need to pay the outlandish MS licensing
> fees.
>=20
> Am I on a quest to fail?
>=20
> Does anyone have a recommendation (other then a bullet) of a good system
> that I can continue to develop on (I know a notebook is not the best dev
> platform. But I spend so much time on the train with my commute the time
> is just wasted)?
>=20
> So there is my scenario. I hope some one has a helpful suggestion. Heck I
> am willing to BBQ up the best ribs you have ever had to anyone in southern
> California willing to come over to help out (not likely I know)
>=20
>=20
> Thank you,
> Joshua
>=20

--=20
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
                -- Albert Camus

--2JFBq9zoW8cOFH7v

--2JFBq9zoW8cOFH7v--