Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 14:46:42 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        Trish Lynch <trish@bsdunix.net>
Cc:        Adrian Wontroba <aw1@stade.co.uk>, chris scott <c.scott@uk.tiscali.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ifconfig config of gif tunnels

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 01:05:27PM -0400, Trish Lynch wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Adrian Wontroba wrote:
>

> > Did you run mergemaster or otherwise get /etc/rc.network up to date before rebooting?
>
> I';ve done something semi-simple to manage things that possibly might get
> broken by mergemaster.
>
> I have a script that backs up critical files (/etc/hosts,
> /etc/master.passwd, /etc/group, etc), then runs mergemaster where it
> answers "i" to all things, then copies the essential files back.

Ewww. That kind of defeats the whole purpose of mergemaster(8). The
whole idea is for a human to sit at the console and decide what
changes need to be made. With your system, you'll lose any changes to
master.passwd or group (like the recent addition of the sshd
user/group). (Although I'll admit that changing the hosts file is one
that I wouldn't mind skipping everytime.) You might as well just copy
your files out of the way, run the make commands mergemaster(8) does,
and then move the files back. Mergemaster(8) doesn't really buy you
anything the way you are using it.

Actually, you probably really should be using the '-a' option to
mergemaster(8), and then go back later to see what else you need to
update.