Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:52:27 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
Cc:        max@love2party.net, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPv6 problems with 6.2-RELEASE ?

--------------enigE521B5E3D412CFC2AF0AE79C

If memory serves me right, Pete French wrote:
>> 2) rtsol(8) is used to initiate stateless autoconfiguration.  You migh=
t=3D20
>> want to try "rtsol -d interface".
>=20
> Aha... this does not work...
>=20
>> 3) Check the net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv sysctl.  ipv6_enable should ta=
ke=3D20
>> care of this.
>=20
> ...because this is 0
>=20
> All of which appears to be because a spurious 'ipv6_gateway_enable=3D"Y=
ES"'
> has found it's way into my rc.conf due to cut-n-paste. Which is
> interesting though, since even when I spotted it, it hadn;'t occurred
> to me that it would prevent the auto configuration working.

Ah yes, I remember stumbling over this (or some similar problem) many
years ago.  Machines that are configured as routers/gateways, as well as
multi-homed end-hosts, aren't supposed to use rtsol.

Also, accept_rtadv is usually 0...I think that our IPv6 startup scripts
toggle it to 1 just long enough to get a route advertisement and then
set it back to 0.

Bruce.