Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:42:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com>
To:        Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is there an easy way to find out which port loads which library?

--- On Mon, 2/18/13, Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Is there an easy way to find out which port loads which librar=
y?
To: "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com>
Date: Monday, February 18, 2013, 1:01 AM

On 18 Feb 2013 05:35, "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jeffreybouquet@yahoo.com> wrote:

>=20
> >Subject: Re: Is there an easy way to find out which port loads which
library?
>=20
> >Bernard Higonnet wrote:
>
> > Is there a simple, direct, complete, and unequivocal way to find out
> > which port(s) install which libraries?
>
> >Something like this perhaps?
> ># grep libfoobar.so /usr/ports/*/*/pkg-plist
>
> >AvW
>
> None of these replies mention
> pkg which /usr/local/lib/libfoobar.so
> pkg_which /usr/local/lib/libfoobar.so
> I typically use one or both (still using /var/db/pkg after running pkg2ng
once a
> long time ago...)

>Why???

>Chris

Unsure of the question.

Why did I run pkg2ng?=A0 I was uncognizant of all the immediate consequence=
s.
Why did I revert?=A0 Not ready to make /var/db/pkg disappear until I've see=
n=20
guides explaining the new usages which fit the present workflow here...

Why do not I implement it at this time?=A0 I've still too much to do in the=
 short term
on a daily basis vs. implement anything new until I am one of the *last* to=
 do so, so I would do it in the quickest and most expedient manner.=20

pkg_delete -f /var/db/pkg/rubygem-mime-types-1.19 && pkg_add rubygem-mime-t=
ypes-1.21.tbz.
I don't have to know the 1.19 (the shell does).=A0 I do not recall anyone m=
entioning how the
equivalent would work in a pkg system.=A0 They may have, but if it was a re=
ply, I
archived it somewhere, as I would prefer to switch all the machines I use w=
eekly
all at once, and prefer to wait as long as expedient.

That works on legacy laptops as well as modern 4-core CPU, aided by the she=
ll doing expansion, and I can type it without thinking, aided by the shell.
The subdirectory is directly available to grep, awk, less... without an .so=
.
I've not yet had time to implement a /var/db/pkg/ on=A0 a machine running p=
kg
(by script maybe) so that it could continue.

I've posted several times why the progress of /pkg/ has not been shown to [=
1] not slow down the workflow to which I am accustomed to upgrade multiple =
machines has not been reliably demonstrated... and edge cases in which the =
legacy method is
preferable.=A0 Unfortunately, I ran out of time a long time ago to respond =
more in
depth; my views on the matter are scattered in the lists archives and forum=
 archives
[further content redacted so as to not waste anyone's time.]

J. Bouquet

[1] I am not asking for anyone's efforts,=20
nor trying to sound negative;
just trying to respond to the question with a wait-and-see=20
viewpoint...