Date:      Sat, 17 May 1997 17:46:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
To:        dk+@ua.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS service mysteriously stopping on 2.2-RELENG?

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Dmitry Kohmanyuk wrote:

> > May  7 17:48:24 shell1 kernel: short receive (0/4) from nfs server nfs:/user/.4
>
> From looking at the source, it looks like an error while receiving RPC
> from the server... specifically, in /sys/nfs/nfs_socket.c

    It seems like a lost packet or a timeout could cause this.  In my
particular case, I found the cause of the NFS server problems, and
happily it isn't FreeBSD's fault.  :)  The nfsd's were restarted
manually at some point, and there was a 10-minute CPU limit in effect.
The nfsd's were silently dying off one by one, until there weren't
enough of them to adequately support the concurrency needed by the
clients, and eventually NFS would disappear entirely.  I only
discovered this when the fellow who went to reboot the hung systems
remarked that there were only a couple of nfsd's running at the time.  :-/
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@netcom.ca)