Date:      Tue, 1 Jul 2014 23:38:08 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Sergei G <sergeig.public@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is article on freebsd jails having backdoor true?

On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 13:42:17 -0700, Sergei G wrote:
> freebsd-jails-are-a-huge-security-danger
> <http://aboutthebsds.wordpress.com/2013/01/13/freebsd-jails-are-a-huge-security-danger/>;
>
> Does FreeBSD 10 still have this backdoor?

If I may ask, _which_ backdoor? I tried to read the full
article (which is hard because the language quality is
low, which I am saying with the fact in mind that English
is not my native language), but I didn't find detailed
information about what kind of backdoor is meant.

An Apache security problem is mentioned. Details here:

https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/apache_org_04_09_2010

There is no mentioning of jail, ony one of FreeBSD. The
attack was XSS and finally got the attacker administrator
login credentials to one of their functional subsystems.
A jail backdoor is not mentioned, as far as I can tell.

> Do jails put too much overhead, more than virtualization?

I don't think so. From my limited and individual experience,
FreeBSD Jails usually work better than typical "full-featured"
virtualization solutions (which require more resources). In
case this is really a concern to you, do some testing, because
the answer to your question usually depends on many factors
which only _you_ know enough about (setting, resource, use
cases and so on).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany