Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 2003 10:03:23 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Dilshod <dilshod@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I debug ? I want to help.

Dilshod wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> The reason I'm posting this question is because I am not entirely sure
> how to approach this issue.

That's funny, that's the exact same reason most people ask questions ;)

>     A little of my background: I am NOT completely newbie to the FreeBSD
> system. I've used FreeBSD for some time, for about a year. Recently, I
> upgraded my system to FreeBSD 5.0 by clean installation. Right now
> everything is up to date. One reason, I want to have FreeBSD 5.0, is
> because I wanted to test it , and by that do my contribution to the
> FreeBSD community.

Fantastic.

>     However, I encountered one problem, I don't know what to do when my
> system completely freezes. I know at what moments but I don't know at
> what level it's, i.e.. kernel level , device, X-server, window manager,
> application. The only way out when my computer freezes by pressing reset
> button. This also happens to friend's computer, the hardware
> architecture is different, but same OS. My background is computer
> science. I know C, and some assembly.
>     How to capture a problem , and debug it ?

The easiest way I know, is sometimes you can still ssh/telnet in to the box,
and then use gdb or other debuggin tools as you normally would.  Unless, of
course, if the whole box is locked up solid.

If that's not an option, you'll need to do serial debugging.  I'm not going
to pretend that I know much about that, but I do know where to point you
for reading on it:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/index.html
Section 17 is on kernel debugging, and goes through setting up a remote gdb
debugger.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies