Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 06:30:53 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What does "Voxware still supported in 4.0" mean exactly?

In message <14554.20424.548258.530333@hip186.ch.intel.com>, John
Reynolds~ writ
es:

> [ On Wednesday, March 22, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote: ]
> > > 	What about those of us with AWE64 GOLD boards?  The board itself does
> > > quite well with most PCI based boards available today.  As for upgrades,
> > > would a Vibra16 really count as an upgrade?
> >
> > Why not send us one and we'll have Cameron Grant look at it?  He is
> > somewhat constrained by the hardware available to him, and being off
> > in the UK and stuck in a wheelchair to boot doesn't exactly give him
> > the best access.
> >
> > > 	If we're going to be forced to use newer boards, what about
> > > SoundBlaster Live, Diamond Fusion, and other modern Aureal/Dolby based
> > > PCI sound boards?  Will pcm support those out of the box, or are we now
> > > going to have to wait for some other driver to be developed?
> >
> > It doesn't support them out of the box now, but I can tell you that
> > Cameron is certainly working on at least the Soundblaster Live support
> > since we did send him one and I've heard him complaining bitterly
> > about it on several occasions. :)  If somebody wants to send him
> > a Diamond Fusion card, I would be happy to "broker" the deal.
>
> The following is not venom directed at jkh, or anybody in general--it is an
> honest question/statement/opinion:
>
> Rather than having a user send Cameron Grant a Diamond Fusion Card, or any
> other "bleeding edge" or "old 'n' crusty" sound card to play with, shouldn't
> FreeBSD, Inc. or Walnut Creek itself be proactively shipping willing
> developers like this all the hardware they can purchase? I know that it is
> done, has been done, and will continue to be done--it just seems to me like
> another appropriate time to spend <= $100US from the profits generated by CD
> sales.
>
> There are many many of us who faithfully buy the CD subscription and basicall
> use the discs as shiny playtoys for our toddlers. I will continue to buy it
> too because "money gets rolled back into the project for further development"
> and with such limited time, that's how I "support" FreeBSD (along with
> evangelism being the only "FreeBSD leper" here at work amongst the
> Linux-ites).
>
> I think that users sending people who have the time and talent for writing
> drivers for the hardware is a grand idea. But, I think an equally grand idea
> is onsie-twosie hardware (such as sound cards, NICs, etc.) being purchased by
> Walnut Creek and/or FreeBSD, Inc. "automatically." Comments?
>
> (again, this is not meant to be accusatory to jkh or anybody specifically, an
> I'm not asking for "justification of my CD purchase" in any way ... just
> stating my US $0.02).

That's $25/CDROM release.  I'm not sure how much support that would get
you.  RedHat charges from $30 for web-based installation support to
$150 for 30 days of full support.

FreeBSD is a volunteer effort.  Many people have devoted much time to
this project only to be slammed for one thing or another.  How many
times have I seen this discussion on this list?  I've run out of
fingers and toes counting the number of times I've seen this discussion
over the years.

If people want support, purchase a commercial UNIX from any of the
commercial UNIX vendors.  Not only that but support contracts are
available for FreeBSD.  Heck, send me enough money and I'll provide
support.  I've worked for two commercial product development companies
as a developer.  Product development ain't cheap, nor is support.

If you have a complaint, here are your options:

1.  Go somewhere else and buy a commercial UNIX (or Windows) and support
    for it.

2.  Get a FreeBSD support contract.

3.  Roll up your sleeves and help out with the effort.

Just quit complaining and do something constructive!  There are a lot
of people who have sacrificed to contribute to this project and I for
one appreciate their contributions!

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC