Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 09:48:14 -0500
From:      khouphou@csc.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, info@cdrom.com
Subject:   Modem setup

Hello,

I have two 3 problems configuring and using my modem.

It's a 28,8 standard modem.

1/using ppp, when I type on the prompt:

ppp on myserver>dial ISP

I just hear the dial tone but it never actually dials.

2/ So I go with mannual dialing:

I go as far as I can logon in my ISP and I ha to push a key to have some
thing like:

ppp on myserver>Using Packet Mode

and few seconds later,

PPP on myserver>

At that point I am supposed to be connect. Right! I can telnet and ping my
ISP's server but that's it.
I cannot ftp nor ping nor telnet any other host.
Therefore when I try to install Netscape with
.../netscape4-communicator/make install' it fails to ftp
'ftp.netscape.com/...'

3/ I cannot find the ~/instfiles/ directory on my CD distribution that
comes with Greg Lehey's book from Walnut Creek.

Any ideas, please?

konan