Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 22:02:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org>
To:        Thaisan Tonthat <t_tonthat@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions

I would start by reading through the first several sections of the FreeBSD
handbook at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook.

Pretty much you can install and run FreeBSD stabily on any kind of x86
machine, as long as it doesn't have any Windows-based hardware (like
Winmodems, etc.) or any odd-ball hardware.

If you are planning on using X Windows (most likely XFree86), you may want
to skim through the XFree86 documentations and support hardware lists to
make sure that the video card you picked out will work.

At today's hardware and prices, you can put together a machine with either
an Intel Celeron or an AMD Athlon processor with 32-64MB of RAM, >4 GB
hard drive and a decent video card (something like a Matrox G200 or G400
would be good enough for X). If the machine will be on a network, a decent
network card (like an Intel, 3Com, Linksys, etc.) is definitely a must.

I actually ran FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE on a dual P5-100 with 64MB of RAM and a
1MB PCI video card, running XFree86 3.3.5, sure it was a little slow, but
it ran Netscape, WordPerfect, StarOffice and even Mozilla M12 without a
hitch.

// Linh Pham
//
// Proud supporter of FreeBSD and OpenBSD
// FreeBSD - http://www.freebsd.org
// OpenBSD - http://www.openbsd.org

/*	"Oregon, n.:
		Eighty billion gallons of water