Date:      29 Mar 2002 13:09:29 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Guilherme Oliveira <guilherme@nortenet.pt>
Cc:        Yann Ramin <atrus@atrustrivalie.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bug ? Building kernel/world error on Cyrix [resolved]

Guilherme Oliveira <guilherme@nortenet.pt> writes:

> Then I installed world+kernel and builded again with 'CPUTYPE=i686' in
> make.conf and 'cpu I686_CPU' in kernel configuration and builded fine
> again ...  :/

Yes, I ran the IBM 6x86MX PR233 version of that (187 MHz) under Linux
and configured every not more Cyrix-specific as "686".  I never regetted
buying it, given my feelings toward WIntel.  There are (or were) several
web pages with all kinds of CPU register usage tricks only a few of
which made it into the Linux kernel (and probably the same or fewer in
the FreeBSD kernel).  Most would consider such tweaking a waste of time,
but somebody obviously didn't.

There was a software package called "set6x86" which had tools I'd call
from /etc/rc.local.  I very much doubt if it would work with FreeBSD,
but maybe you could hack it if you're into that sort of thing.

There was something to enable low-power during "cpu idle".  Something
to fix the "COMA bug" which only some chip versions needed.  Something
for "Fast IORT" and something for "Enable WT_ALLOC".  There was also
some "Linear Video Frame Buffer" stuff that was supposed to help
considerably (for some useages).  I don't know what FreeBSD has for
this stuff.  I suppose you've looked in LINT.