Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 1999 00:55:15 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.9912101538360.17929-100000@hub.freebsd.org>, Kris Ken
naway writes:

>No-one (as far as I can see) is objecting to making ata the default (which
>it already is), and to kill wd in some number of weeks. Why can't you just
>do that, and put and end to this discussion happily? Will a few weeks
>really harm the development process?

You overlook one simple thing here:  If we want the ata driver tested,
we need to make existing kernel configs break, otherwise people
will not change them to use ata.  We know this from bitter experience.

The removal of wd has many discrete steps, but the first one is to
make it clear to people that it is going away, this has been done
by now I belive.

The next thing is to break all the kernel configs, this has yet to
happen, but it will happen real soon.  This means that you have to
really insist badly to make the wd driver work for you.

Once we have established that the new driver doesn't leave a large
number of people stranded it will be killed for good.

What we need right NOW is for people to test the ata driver, and
if it doesn't work, to debug as well as they can and report in
excrutiating detail to sos so that he has a chance to analyze
the problems.  Just saying "It doesn't work for me" will simply
not do.  The more senior the person reporting, the more detail
and quality information should be able to expect.

Now, get back to work!

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!