Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 21:13:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-database@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD v Linux

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Doug Poland wrote:

> Well, that makes sense.  Think of FreeBSD as a Linux distribution
> and get them to support that.  I may be beating a dead horse, but
> how would that help (in the Sybase realm) with connectivity libraries
> like Sybase-DB or Sybase-CT.  These Sybase libraries are needed for
> interfaces like PHP to speak to Sybase?  I'm sure the other major
> RDBMs have similar libraries.

  Has anyone here actually been keeping up to speed on what Sybase Inc.
has been doing in FreeBSD land?  It doesn't seem that way.  Sybase has
native FreeBSD libraries out now.  There were announced on the
freebsd-database list.  There are some issues with them, but I doubt that
Sybase wants to improve them if people (more like "customers") don't use
them.

  Second, Sybase has done something interesting with the server side. They
have released a binary intended to run under FreeBSD, but which is a
native Linux binary.  I guess it was the fastest way to port the server.
When it starts up it says it is the "FreeBSD" build, but "file" says the
executables are Linux ELFs.

  Besides, the FreeTDS group has a third party library for Sybase and
MS-SQL database access from any Unix system.  It is functional enough for
PHP.

> Regards,
> Doug

Tom