Date:      Wed, 6 Jan 1999 22:02:47 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Aaron D. Gifford" <adg@infowest.com>
Subject:   Re: Why won\'t TAR cooperate\?

In the last episode (Jan 06), Mike Meyer said:
> On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Aaron D. Gifford wrote:
> > That said, could this be a case of tar for some reason thinking the
> > tape was full?  How would I find out if this is the case?  How
> > would I tell tar that the tape's capacity is MUCH greater than the
> > 250MB by a factor of 100 or more?
>
> Which version of FreeBSD are you using? I just saved a 3+ Gig file
> from tar to disk on 3.0-RELEASE. Can you try something like that?

You might also want to try tracing the tar program and checking to see
what the last write() call to the tape device returns.  If you're
running 2.*, you'll have to do with a ktrace/kdump pair, but on 3.0,
use the truss command.

> As an aside, could someone fill me on on what a "DLT" tape drive is,
> and costs?  I'm not familiar with them, but am still contemplating
> backup options.

DLT's are based off the DEC TK85 series of tape drives used on old
Vaxes.  If you've seen them, DLT tapes look exactly the same.  They're
a bit larger than a 3480 cartridge and about as durable.  Single-reel
case, 1/2-inch tape.  Capacities from 10GB to 35GB native, with
_sustainable_ native data rates from 3 to 5 MB/sec, depending on the
model.  Need almost no cleaning; our backup devices ask for a cleaning
every 3 months or so (with heavy daily use). Somewhat pricey
($4000-6000 for an external DLT7000, 35GB tapes are $90), but very
reliable.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com