Date:      Sun, 27 May 2007 14:11:13 +0200
From:      Pascal Hofstee <caelian@gmail.com>
To:        Duane Whitty <duane@dwlabs.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some local rc scripts running twice

On Sun, 2007-05-27 at 03:48 -0300, Duane Whitty wrote:
> Has anyone else encountered local rc scripts running
> twice?  I thought I saw something about this on one
> of the @freebsd.org lists but my search efforts haven't
> located it yet.

In assuming "local rc scripts" means anything installed by ports ... i
am assuming you installed a fresh Xorg-7.2 and now at some point ended
up with the /usr/X11R6 -> /usr/local symlink.

If the above assumption holds true ... did you run the mergebase.sh
script as suggested in /usr/ports/UPDATING ?

Most significantly .. this script adds the following entry to
your /etc/rc.conf

local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"

The default entry in /etc/defaults/rc.conf still
references /usr/X1R6/etc/rc.d as well ... since the latter is now a
symlink to the former, both rc.d-paths contain the same scripts.

If your rc.conf doesn't contain the aforementioned entry, that would
explain why local rc-scripts are started twice.

--
Pascal Hofstee <caelian@gmail.com>