Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:46:50 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Erich Zigler <erichz@superhero.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Video4Linux ./ Video4FreeBSD ?

On 11-Jan-2002 Erich Zigler wrote:
> Is there some way to use Video4Linux applications under FreeBSD?

Nope.

> There are a lot of just utter killer Video4Linux apps and I believe it
> would be very beneficial for FreeBSD to be able to tap into those
> applications.

Yes :)

> We can run Linux applications, how much harder would it be to take the next
> step with Video4Linux?
>
> If this isn't possible right now, what do you believe would be the steps to
> implementing this? Because it would be a project I would like to start
> developing.

You would need to implement the V4L API.

If you go for source compat it shouldn't be too hard, but you'd need to write a
fair amount of glue kernel code to get it running.

I'd aim for V4L v2 if I were you, V4L v1 has some issues.

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum