Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 1997 13:06:57 +1030 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkenn@bns.com.au>
To:        durang@u.washington.edu (K. Marsh)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: xdm disallowing keyboard input

In our previous episode, K. Marsh said:
> Don't know the answer to the keyboard problem, but I highly suggest
> reading the html installation guide and putting xdm in your /etc/ttys
> instead of in your rc file.

You mean question 6.17 in the FAQ?

-----
6.17. How do I start XDM from the /etc/ttys file?

Starting xdm via /etc/ttys is a Bad Thing. I don't know why this crept
into some README file.

Start it from your rc.local, and be explicit about how it has to start.
If this is your last action in rc.local, put a ``sleep 1'' behind, to
allow xdm to properly daemonize before the rc shellexits.

xdm should be started without any arguments (i.e., as a daemon).

NOTE: A previos version of this FAQ told you to add the vt you want X to
use to the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers file. This is not necessary: X
will use the first free vt it finds.

-----

This is exactly what I have done..Nadav Eiron told me I needed the vt04
in my Xservers, and admittedly I haven't tried it, but in light of this
note I'm not sure this will work.

Kris

|| ,-./\ Kris Kennaway || "Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead. Dead.   ||
||/     \              ||  Dead. Dead. Dead. How can you apologize to them?" ||
||\_,-*_/ kkenn@       || "I..can't" "Then how can I forgive?"               ||
||     v    bns.com.au || - G'Kar and Vir, "Comes the Inquisitor", Babylon 5 ||