Date:      Sun, 25 May 2008 23:04:40 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <parish@magichamster.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best nVidia card for Xorg on FreeBSD?

Currently using a Radeon 8500LE but since u/g to xorg 7.3 I've had
nothing but trouble with X hanging/crashing/locking-up.

 From what I've read, the state of the radeon drivers leaves much to be
desired and although some people seem to have trouble with nVidia cards
they appear to be a better choice.

So, after over a decade of brand-loyalty to ATI (when I started with
FreeBSD back in the mid-90's ATI cards were the only ones I could find
that would run X at better than VGA resolution) I'm going to switch to
nVidia.

The machine is FreeBSD-only so no issues with Windows drivers and
performance etc. (I divorced the Evil Empire a couple of years ago) and
my Radeon 8500 is adequate for my needs so I don't need a high-end card.

I'm looking on eBay and an FX5x00 card seems to fit the bill.

So, are there any particular cards that work well under Xorg/FreeBSD or,
more importantly, any that don't?

Any advice about the need to consider 3D issues would be welcome? I run
KDE and mainly use digikam/GIMP for digital photo editing and kmplayer
for viewing videos. I believe there is a 3D interface for KDE
(CompuViz?) - is this worth bothering with?

All help/advice gratefully received.

TIA

Mark