Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:55:07 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>
Cc:        Andy Knapp <knappster@knappster.net>, "'Cody Swanson'" <cswanson@pei.eastlink.ca>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Performance issues with natd

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Kenneth Culver wrote:

> > I agree with the hardware diagnosis. I have almost the same setup on a
> > nat box that I run, and everything works perfectly. I get good transfer
> > speeds, and I use two 3c905b cards from 3com. I would say check and
> > re-check your hardware. Good luck.
>

> I don't think I agree, he's getting 400 KB/sec d/l's using linux on the
> same hardware. I'd suggest trying out ipfilter although this is not
> exactly solving the underlying problem. If he still sees this problem
> with ipfilter, then we can assume it's hardware misconfiguration.

	Yeh, but is he downloading from the same place with every test?
	To be honest, you should be testing the performace across a
	reliable link that doesn't change.  This way you can tell if it is
	related to the machine versus it being an upstream network
	problem/change.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
- WARNING TO ALL PERSONNEL:
   Firings will continue until morale improves.