Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 09:52:39 -0000
From:      "Bond, Jeffery" <Jeff.Bond@nectech.co.uk>
To:        "'xnet@sprintmail.com'" <xnet@sprintmail.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD questions'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD

Brenda Lambiris wrote:

>is freebsd linux, or unix.  Will I be able to run linux applications on
>FreeBSD?  If i buy the linux games CD, is there a guarentee i will be able
>to run all the software on the CD?  thanks.

FreeBSD is unix, Linux is also unix, but FreeBSD is not Linux. It's a bit
like comparing Netscape with Internet explorer. They're both browsers, but
they're not the same thing. It's a matter of preference which one you use.

FreeBSD has an advantage in that it can run most Linux programs via
emulation. It does this very well in my experience, although I doubt it will
run everything from the games CD.

I know I shouldn't try to convert people to Linux on a FreeBSD list, but why
don't you run Linux if you want to run all the Linux games?

Regards,

Jeff Bond

Jeffery Bond
<mailto:jeffbond@compuserve.com>