Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 2015 23:39:31 +0100
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@vfemail.net>
To:        Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: webcam and audio capture

--=-=-=

Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@xs4all.nl> writes:

> The video capture device is /dev/video0 and when testing at
> test.webrtc.org, Firefox asks nicely if I would like to share the
> /dev/video0 device. But the audio device is skipped and doesn't
> work. In FF Hello, video is fine, but the microphone on my side isn't
> working. I can hear and see the people on the other side. But they can
> see me, but cannot hear me.

Firefox currently doesn't support detecting microphone when using ALSA.
It's specific to FreeBSD because we're not native but use OSS plugin.
Fixing is probably trivial but requires hardware to test: 1 mic, 2 mics,
external mic + webcam, etc. No upstream bug yet.

PULSEAUDIO should work fine.

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/video-chat.50219/#post-280981
https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/9ddf0da90fb3bc1ae29966dc596013fc54a44bd2/media/webrtc/trunk/webrtc/modules/audio_device/linux/audio_device_alsa_linux.cc#1809

--