Date:      Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:39:13 -0700
From:      Mike Carlson <m87carlson@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD NIS client and Solaris NIS server problem...

Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my FreeBSD workstation ( 5.4
PRERELEASE ) binding to our Solaris 8 NIS server. I do not get any
warnings or errors when ypbind starts up, but if I do a 'rpcinfo
localhost', it takes a very long time to come back with anything(stays
in a 'nanslp' state the whole time), and trying to do a 'ypcat hosts'
( or an equivalent ypcat query ) times out with the error:

   $ ypcat hosts
   ypcat: no such map hosts.byaddr. reason: Can't bind to server which
serves this domain

if I run rpcbind manually with the -d flag I get the following message:
 =20
  $ rpcbind -d
  rpcbind debugging enabled.
  can't get local ip6 address: hostname nor servname provided, or not known

Now, I dont have ipv6 compiled in the kernel, but is rpcbind dependent on i=
t?

Here are the parameters I'm using in rc.conf for nis:

   rpcbind_enable=3D"YES"
   nisdomainname=3D"delta"
   nis_client_enable=3D"YES"
   nis_client_flags=3D"-S delta,engr-nis1,engr-nis2"

Any info is appreciated, I would like to access my NFS home directory
from my workstation :)

Mike C