Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 22:52:00 GMT
From:      "Sam Varshavchik" <mrsam@courier-mta.com>
To:        Yarema <yds@dppl.com>
Cc:        courier-users@lists.sourceforge.net, ports@FreeBSD.org, Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Subject:   Re: Courier-MTA on FreeBSD

Yarema writes:

> --On Thursday, October 18, 2001 11:51:24 +0000 Sam Varshavchik
> <mrsam@courier-mta.com> wrote:
>
>> Yarema writes:
>>> OK, what I've got so far is a completed port of sysconftool which
>>> probably  belongs in the devel section of FreeBSD ports.  Recent
>>> Courier-MTA builds  depend on it even though the INSTALL docs say that
>>> tarballs shouldn't have  that dependency -- only CVS versions should.
>>> No matter, having
>>
>> They don't.  You do not need sysconftool to build out of a tarball.
>
> Well FWIW both courier-0.35.1 and courier-0.35.1.20011014 fail when
> building under FreeBSD's ports system without sysconftool installed.  This
> does not mean that the tarball is at fault.  It just means that the way
> FreeBSD bsd.port.mk's configure target is called breaks the tarball's
> dependency on it's included sysconftool or something to that effect.  This
> is not a big deal.

In that case: test if c_rehash is available.  If not, add
 --without-rootcerts to configure.

> I understand there's a reason -- I'm not new to this.  However for the
> files and binaries where it doesn't matter it would be preferable that
> they be installed as root:wheel or whatever the OS convention is.  If for
> no other reason than just to be able to easily tell which files require to
> be owned by a particular user and which don't.

Not everyone has a wheel group, so I can't specify it in my tarballs.

As I general rule of thumb: anything that I install in bindir or sbindir
that is group-executable, not a soft link, and does NOT have a setuid or
setgid bit can have its ownership adjusted.  For soft links, follow the soft
link and look where it's pointing to.

You're probably better off doing this as a post-install fixup.
Alternatively, after running make install run make install-perms from the
source directory, and look at the permissions.dat file.  The make
install-perms target generates permissions.dat which lists every file that
gets installed, and what it's permissions are.

> with that. The INSTALL macro issue is a problem though.  I've worked
> around it.  But the tarball Makefile.in and
> autoconf/automake/libtool/sysconftool generate:
>
> INSTALL = ../

This is usually the result of the INSTALL environment variable being set
before running configure.  Unset INSTALL before running configure.

--
Sam