Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:31:11 +0200
From:      "Mikkel Christensen" <mikkel@talkactive.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems with a shared library (I think)

Hi

Since I made at buildworld that failed my computer has been quite weird.
There was a problem with ld-elf.so.1 which I solved by copying another =
version of the file from the live filesystem freebsd cd.

But after this my compiler refused to compile any C++ program.

Eventually I builded another world which was installed without any =
errors.
I figured this would solve my previous problems and it did to some =
extend.

But when I tried to upgrade KDE things went wrong. kdebase wouldn't =
compile and all of sudden kedinit stopped working saying it could not =
fint libtq-mt.so.3
Though the file exists in /usr/X11R6/lib/.

I decided to try and recompile the whole XFree86 server but that did not =
solve the problem.

At the moment kde refuses to compile showing the error "error: Qt (>=3D =
3.2) (library qt-mt) not found".
When I try to compile /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/qt33 I get this error: =
"/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.3: Undefined symbol =
'mbsrtowcs'"

These errors and the ones that made the system fail to begin with makes =
me believe there are some kind of commonly used library missing in my =
system.
It frustrates me that buildworld didn't solve this since I can't figure =
out any other sollution.

Unfortunately this machine is the one I'm using as a workstation =
contating all my e-mails and other stuff that I can't live without.
I'm afraid the contenc on the disk will be overwritten if I reinstall =
FreeBSD from scratc.

I really hope someone knows how to help since this is the computer I use =
every day.

Please send your reply cc to me since I'm not subscribed to the list.
Thank you.

- Mikkel