Date:      Sat, 1 Apr 2000 13:18:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      mjy@pobox.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/17736: Postgres port should be updated to 7.0beta series, 6.5.3 has severe bugs that won't be fixed

>Number:         17736
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Postgres port should be updated to 7.0beta series, 6.5.3 has severe bugs that won't be fixed
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Postgres 6.5.3 contains bugs which won't be fixed according to the maintainers. For example,
the backend crashes with some aggregate queries on views. Example:

 create table a (x float, id text);
 create view b as select min(x),id from a group by id;
 insert into a values (0,'x');
 select a0.* from a a0, b b0 where b0.id=a0.id and a0.x=b0.min;

This bug has been fixed in 7.0beta3, but won't be fixed for 6.5.3 (development on that branch has ceased completely).
Because of this, and because the maintainers say: "No, the 6.5.* releases are done.  7.0 is in beta.  Many think
7.0beta* is more stable than the 6.5.* release." I'd like to suggest that 7.0beta should be used
for STABLE ports.