Date:      26 Mar 1998 21:21:47 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        Val <val@hcol.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape backup again

Val <val@hcol.net> writes:

> is there any other software for the automated backup?
> I tryed reading man for dump, but it seems that it would wait for operator
> input pretty often (end of tape, end of backup, etc). Or is it possible
> just to email the report to a user?

I'm using Amanda (in ports, or ftp.cs.umd.edu) to back up some
machines at home over the net. Very cool. It's now driving a 4xDDS2
tape jukebox, so 32GB nearline. Totally automated.

Amanda appears to be used in many much larger sites. Config takes some
time to get into but it rocks. I plan on using it in a couple ISPs I
support.