Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 13:28:49 -0800
From:      UCTC Sysadmin <ecsd@transbay.net>
To:        France Gerson Bala <fgbullet2@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: using bsd as Radius server

France Gerson Bala wrote:

> Can I used a BSD RADIUS server to authenticate users via LAN and PPP?
>
> Thanx,
>
> Bullet

We use older Livingston and Ascend code for radiusd for dialup/ISDN access,
works fine.

I hadn't gotten the new radius port to work properly since it won't run,
saying a file is missing (a config file like 'users' and 'dictionary'.)
The make install does not copy the default or example file over properly.
The problem might be easily fixed but I didn't see how in a little while
of banging on it.
.
The port is a later version of the radius daemon. The source still
available from Ascend or Livingston might be the older version, which
will still work fine for normal stuff.

Verify the port numbers used. The older code will use 1645 and 1646.
You can run a livingston and an ascend radiusd in parallel if you carefully
edit one of the sources to use different port numbers (and of course the device
has to know the alternate ports as well.) You can even merge the dictionaries
and use the ascend radiusd to serve both normal and ascend radius requests
but that scenario couldn't log accounting for the normal (in our case
Portmaster 2eR or 3Com HiPER DSP) server.

Livingston = everything but Ascend, so Livingston is the 'standard'. The
latest ports don't refer to Livingston by name. You should still be able
to get the livingston code from livingston.com (now a part of lucent.)
It's also public domain in other places.