Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 06:41:20 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        Michael Shields <shields@msrl.com>
Cc:        "Joseph M. Scott" <jmscott@ainet.com>, Leif Neland <root@swimsuit.internet.dk>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dummy-pop3 server

On 26 Jan 1999, Michael Shields wrote:

> In article <Pine.BSF.4.05.9901270130100.12271-100000@aniwa.sky>,
> Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz> wrote:
> > You could put the message into an undeletable mail message.  I tried
> > mucking around with permissions and symbolic links in /var/mail but my pop
> > server (cucipop) won't open the mailbox unless it's writable.  It wouldn't
> > be all that big a job to hack a clearly written pop server into always
> > using the same mailbox regardless of what username and password were
> > presented, and ignoring 'dele' commands.
>
> I've done that.  You end up with lots of complaints:
>
>    I'VE ALREADY GOTTEN THIS MESSAGE TWENTY TIMES!!!!1!!1  STOP SENDING
>    ME THIS MESSAGE!!!!!1!!!
>
> You ca'n't win.

Change the message: YOU'VE ALREADY BEEN SENT THIS MESSAGE TWENTY TIMES!!!!
READ IT!!!PAY ATTENTION!!!!

hrmmmm..  Dunno how that would go down.

How about keeping a file of usernames.  If someone logs in using a
username not in the list, give them the message and add them to the list.
otherwise tell them they have no mail.  Clear the list at regular
intervals.  Shouldn't require much code.

Andrew McNaughton