Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 07:06:49 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Daniel R.  Brownstone" <drbrowns@ls.wustl.edu>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pointer problems, 2.2.5

I don't think this is 3/4 of the mbufs, is it?  Would you suggest
recompiling anyway with a larger number?

ls:~ {2}: netstat -m
54 mbufs in use:
        35 mbufs allocated to data
        13 mbufs allocated to packet headers
        4 mbufs allocated to protocol control blocks
        2 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
25/102 mbuf clusters in use
210 Kbytes allocated to network (26% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Doug White wrote:

> This happens to a fraction of the users and unfortunately I don't know a
> solution offhand.
>
> The last suggestion was to check `netstat -m' and see how many mbuf
> clusters are in use and the max value.  If the max is within 3/4 of the
> total maxiumum (default 255?) then you need to increase the number by
> compiling your kernel with `options NMBCLUSTERS=XXXX'.
>
> Something is running out of memory or is leaking memory.

Daniel R. Brownstone		   drbrowns@ls.wustl.edu
Wash. U. School of Law '99         ICQ #191058
HOME: (314)-776-0102               PAGER: (314)-663-1367
*** 		THIS E-MAIL IS PROPRIETARY		   ***