Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 03:46:29 +0100
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is this X setting safe?

> I have just installed a new monitor.
>
> According to an accompanying brochure, Its specs are:
> Horiz Frequency 30-72KHz
> Vert Frequency 50-120Hz
> Video bandwidth 110 MHz
> Maximum Resolution and refresh rates:
> 1280x1024 up to 60Hz
> 1024x768 up to 85Hz
> 800x600 up to 85Hz
> 640x480 up to 85Hz
>
> According to the manual supplied, the factory preset timings are:
> 1024x768 Vert Freq 85Hz  Horis Freq 68.68KHz
> 800x600   Vert Freq 85Hz  Horiz Freq 53.67KHz
> 640X480  Vert Freq 60Hz   Horiz Freq 31.47KHz
>  =============================
>
> On this basis I have used this modeline in my XF86Config:
> # 1280x1024 @ 61 Hz, 64.2 kHz hsync
> Modeline "1280x1024"  110    1280 1328 1512 1712  1024 1025 1028 1054
>
> The screen looks OK at 1280x1024 - but are the settings I have used
> "safe" for the monitor?

The calculations inherent to the modeline description are correct; so you
are within the specs of your monitor. But your eyes will perhaps tell you
something different after hours of work. 61Hz vertical refresh rate is by no
means ergonomic. Also as youīre at the top of your monitorīs spec, I donīt
expect the picture to be brilliant. With a max. vertical refresh rate of
72kHz I suspect the monitor to be a 17" at maximum. With normal dot pitch
you have more pixels in your resolution than physical "holes" in your tube.
So you can get more stuff on your screen but will suffer bad readability.
Besides 1280x1024 isnīt the physical 4x3 ratio of your screen, so your
pixels will be "flattened". My recommendation in ascending order: Use
1280x960, 1152x864 or 1024x768 resolution.

Ciao
Siegbert