Date:      Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:52:28 +0200
From:      Ville Lundberg <freebsd@juiceless.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   gmirror: degraded, Component ad4 (device gm0) broken, skipping.

Hi,

one of my clients had a problem with their server and had to cold reboot
it. It's running 6.0-release-p4.
As I feared, the harddrives did not like the reboot, and gmirror now
states it is degraded.
I have no chance to get to the server console any time soon, so I
thought someone could help me check that this procedure I planned is OK
- I probably have to explain via telephone or email to the client how to
do it, and they certainly aren't technical people.

Boot message:

Feb  1 08:40:51 portfolio kernel: GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0 created (id=4091963512).
Feb  1 08:40:51 portfolio kernel: GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad4 detected.
Feb  1 08:40:51 portfolio kernel: GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad6 detected.
Feb  1 08:40:51 portfolio kernel: GEOM_MIRROR: Component ad4 (device gm0) broken, skipping.
Feb  1 08:40:51 portfolio kernel: GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider ad6 activated.
Feb  1 08:40:51 portfolio kernel: GEOM_MIRROR: Device gm0: provider mirror/gm0 launched.

so one of the SATA harddrives is lost from the mirror. The harddrive is
probably ok, as it's just one week old. If I understood it correctly, I
should do
gmirror forget gm0
gmirror insert gm0 ad4
and this should build the mirror again? If this fails, the hd is really
physically broken?
  --Ville

gmirror list:

Geom name: gm0