Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 21:31:10 +1000 (EST)
From:      dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au
To:        shreela@dcnet2000.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Win on master/BSD on slave?

The way most people seem to do this is with a dual boot menu, but I've never liked that system so I figured out something that works better for me.

Whether you go the "conventional' route or the "unconventional" one , you will have to contend with the unix "feature" that won't let it boot on large hard drives, so you do need to make sure the boot partition has less than 1024 sectors or thereabouts. There is a screen that appears early in setup that lets you organize partitions so just make a /boot partition about 20Mb and it will be OK.

Like I said before , I personally don't like dual boot menu's, so I either disable (temporarily) primary or secondary master in BIOS, or alternatively use one of those  generic $25 removable hard drive gadgets and just turn off the hard drive I don't want to boot from.  As long as you have a reasonably recent pentium or 686 motherboard it should have the facility in BIOS to disable one IDE channel