Date:      26 Feb 2002 13:16:47 -0500
From:      Bill Triplett <btt@nethouse.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Illegal Characters in Hostname

Greetings,

Sendmail is bouncing mail because an MX record contains a _ in the
hostname. I realize this is illegal and will notify the domain
administrator.

Just playing around, I noticed that I can resolve the address with host
and dig, but can't ping it if I use the hostname as the argument to
ping:

[btt$] ping dist_internet.<rest omitted>.com
ping: cannot resolve dist_internet.<rest omitted>.com: Unknown server

----

So my questions are:

Is this strict enforcement of hostnames configurable? Not that I would
want to leave loose enforcement on; just wondering. I noticed that linux
doesn't seem to have a problem with _'s

Out of curiosity, what is causing the exception? Something in libc
maybe? If I turn on debug in /etc/resolv.conf, it sure looks like the
lookup succeeds (all responses NOERROR), then ping just basically says
forget it.

----

The system's uname:

FreeBSD elvis.g-d.com 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #0: Sat Feb 23
12:53:56 EST 2002     root@elvis.g-d.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ELVIS
i386

Thanks in advance for any insight...

Regards,