Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:25:34 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        kilim <kilim@phenix.rootshell.be>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Detailed DNS setup ?

kilim wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 08:44:35AM -0500, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
>

>>kilim wrote:
>>

>>>I'm about to set up named under FreeBSD 5.4.
>>>

><snip>
>

>>BIND in FreeBSD 5.X is version 9, and is already set up
>>"in a sandbox" (e.g., chrooted to /var/named).
>>

>Hi,
>
>so I guess I just need to follow the section 24.7[1] of the
>handbook to the letter, substituting the "example.com" with
>my own domain name ? And I should be fine ?
>
>[1]the url is:
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-bind9.html
>
>Thanks

I'd say that's a great place to start.  How you use BIND kinda depends
on your goals, from my experience.  Do note that the page you cite does
not describe setting up a master server for "serving" authoritative DNS
info to the Internet at large; it does state that you should read the
is given a more complete overview, and some fairly good detail).

One real important detail, from my experience:  when setting those
TTL numbers in zone files, make Real Sure(tm) you don't put in
any extra digits. :-)

KDK