Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 23:36:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        COI Giovanni <Coi_Giovanni@prometeo.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hitachi CD-ROM ATAPI problem

Please don't crosspost like this.  -questions would have been plenty
enough.  Thanks.

(cc: list pruned)

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, COI Giovanni wrote:

> The release that I have installad is 2.1.5-stable (from mirror
> www.se.FreeBSD.org at August 6 1996).

Check.

> The problem is the CD-ROM. It is set as Master into the second IDE
> controller with the hard drive set as Master into the first IDE
> controller.

Um, if the devices are the only one on their respective controllers then
they should be set to Single, not Master.

> When start (with a CD into the unit) the initial hardware test
> show:
> wdc1 at 0x170-0x177 irq 15 on isa
> wdc1: unit 0 (atapi): <HITACHI CDR-7730/0008c>, removable, iordy
> wcd0: 689Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play, 128 volume levels, ejectable tray
> wcd0: medium type unknown, unlocked

OK, looking good there.

> So it find correctly two units.
> (NB.
> If CD-ROM do not set as Master in second IDE it missing from
> the probe log.
> If it is set as Salve in first IDE the system do not boot at all.
> It don't find any bootable units.)

Yes; it's because it's configured improperly.

> When from root's shell I type:
>
> mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0c /mnt
>
> the system relply:
>
> cd9660: /dev/wcd0c: Device not configured
>
> Do you have any brilliant suggestions that may aid me in my
> search for the perfectly functional FreeBSD system?

su; cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV wcd0

Try that and see what you get.  Also reset the jumpers on your disks to
reflect the proper situation.