Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 13:34:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Russell Ingram <rfi@sandiegoca.ncr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How big can a FreeBSD filesystem be?

In most older versions of UNIX the maximum size a useful file system can
be is limited by "fsck"'s ability to check that file system. Many older
versions of UNIX "fsck" doesn't work on file systems greater then 2 G-BYTEs.
With disks getting bigger by leaps and bounds supported file system size
becomes an issue.

  How Big a file system will FreeBSD support (including all the disk
  tools)?

  And How Big is a reasonable file system?

I just talked to a with a system administrator who repartitioned his
disk array on a SOLARIS system (where "fsck" handles much larger then
2 G-BYTE file systems) from 64 G-BYTE partitions to 32 G-BYTE and is
now planning to reduce again to 16 G-BYTE because "fsck" takes too long.

I'm using FreeBSD 2.6.6. The SCSI disk I'm purchasing are 9.1 G-BYTE. After
/, /usr, /var, and swap I figure I'll have 7 G-BYTEs left and want to
keep it as one file system. Two at most. I'm also assuming I might add a
18 or 24 G-BYTE disk latter.

  When do file systems get too big?

			Any information would be appreciated
			Thanks,