Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 17:40:05 +1100
From:      davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: setpwfile:  Why was it removed?

J Wunsch writes:
> As Charles Henrich wrote:
> > It was such a handy feature!
>
> If you look into the CVS history and the HISTORY section, you will
> notice that it has never been a part of 4.4BSD.

Yes, more's the pity. :-)

I could have used this a couple of times, mainly with virtual
mail accounts. Instead I had to duplicate the functionality, and
write a wrapper that called the appropriate set of functions or
the "virtual" equivalent.

> Btw., which file would you pass to it?  There are 4 files to mention,
> pwd.db, spwd.db, master.passwd, and passwd.

Correct behaviour when using this function should *disable* using the
database versions as well as YP.

Perhaps a setpwdir(3) would have been better, though. Then all but
YP could be retained.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/