Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2014 16:20:51 +0100
From:      Florian Millet <florian.m@athenadistribution.com>
To:        Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vesa.ko do not load with ASpeed AST2300 chipset

Athena Distribution <http://www.athenadistribution.com/>;

Athena Distribution - Millet Florian
Le 24/01/2014 19:18, Jung-uk Kim a écrit :
> On 2014-01-24 09:11:05 -0500, Florian Millet wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
>
> > I stumbled into a problem with a gigabyte motherboard (GA-6PXSV3),
> > more specifically the integrated video chipset on it. The chipset
> > is a ASpeed AST2300 and supposedly handle up to a resolution of
> > 1920x1200. ( for reference :
> > http://www.aspeedtech.com/products.php?fPath=20&rId=200 ) My
> > problem is not under X.org but in console mode, the vesa.ko module
> > refuses to load with this chipset giving me a :
>
> > module_register_init: MOD_LOAD (vesa, 0xffffffff81214000, 0) error
> > 19
>
> > When trying to see which resolution I can use in console mode with
> > `vidcontrol -i mode` I get only one line :
>
> > 3 (0x003) 0x00000001 T 80x25        8x8    0xb80000 32k 32k
> > 0x00000000 32k
>
> > Unfortunately recompiling with VESA_DEBUG=1 does not yield any
> > more information as to why it refuses to load (compiled in kernel
> > or as a module). Enabling the define MODE_TABLE_BROKEN in
> > /usr/src/sys/dev/fb/vesa.c changes nothing. This problem has been
> > confirmed on FreeBSD 10/STABLE and 9.2/RELEASE.
>
> > I tried to flash the vbios to the latest version but their utility
> > tells me it is impossible since the version installed is
> > "invalidate" ...
>
> > `pciconf -lv` gives me : vgapci0@pci0:8:0:0:    class=0x030000
> > card=0x20001458 chip=0x20001a03 rev=0x21 hdr=0x00 vendor    =
> > 'ASPEED Technology, Inc.' device    = 'ASPEED Graphics Family'
> > class     = display subclass  = VGA
>
> > Does anyone has an idea as to why I can't have any other resolution
> > in console mode ? I can give access to the machine via ssh if it
> > helps debugging the problem.
> I believe they officially support FreeBSD.
>
> http://www.aspeedtech.com/support.php
>
> Jung-uk Kim
Hello,

You are correct there _is_ some support on their part for FreeBSD.
Unfortunately these drivers are only for X. My problem is in
console/text mode
(I do not have X on this machine nor do I want to).
Does this problem come from only an unrecognized card or the problem is
deeper
and more complicated ?

---
Florian Millet