Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 1999 10:50:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: keymaps

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:

> Gentlemen, I don't intend to add yet another keymap to
> /usr/share/syscons/keymaps.  I am merely trying to define a reasonable
> set of common, consistent key binding for existing keymaps.
>
> National keyboards have different layout of regular keys.  But
> function keys and special keys are placed identically.  They should
> work in the same way, or at least similar way in all keyboards, unless
> there is a good reason to do otherwise.  (I am not talking about
> non-AT keyboards which are totally different from either AT 84 or
> 101/102/104 keyboards.)

What would be useful here is the ability to "compose" keymaps.
There would be basically two sets: one that defines the layout of
the main keyboard and one that defines the layout of the other
keys.  That way I could pick my dvorak layout, then add on a
layout that, say, swaps control and caps lock but leaves the main
layout alone.

-john