Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:39:00 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        John <john@starfire.mn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Migration planning - old system to new

On 22 January 2010, at 09:12, John wrote:

> Now that I've actually gotten the new system to boot, I need to figure
> out how I'm going to migrate everything - users, data, MySQL, NAT,
> firewall, apache, DHCP, gateway services BIND, Sendmail, etc., etc
> from
> FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Thu Jan 22 19:44:16 CST 2004
> FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0: Sat Nov 21 15:48:17 UTC 2009
>=20
> Bit of a challenge, eh?
>=20
> Not only that, but I'd like to update my UID scheme from a =
pre-standard
> version (most of the UIDs are down in the 100s) to the new convention
> so that I'm more in-line with the rest of the world.
>=20
> My rough idea:
>=20
> 1) Create a "migrate" account in Wheel with home as /var/migrate
>   so that I can do a dump/restore on "home" without messing things
>   up
> 2) Start putting together all the pieces - trying to find update / =
conversion
>   scripts whenever possible.
> 3) once things get close, do the dump/retore of home, and a tar/untar
>   of /var/mail (since I'm moving it from a part of the /var filesystem
>   to a filesystem of its own - doing a dump/restore on /var is not
>   a practical migration strategy in any case)
> 4) Let people move in, try it out, see how things are
> 5) Fix everything found in #4
> 6) Try a cut-over and make sure all the network services work in the
>   middle of the night sometime, then switch back
> 7) Nuke /home and /var/mail and migrate them again to get the latest =
version
> 8) Do the real switch
> 9) spend a couple of weeks fixing all the things that weren't so =
disastrous
>   that they got picked up in #4.
>=20
> Ideas / scripts / project plans / outlines - whatever?  Maybe I should
> write a chapter for The Complete FreeBSD after surviving this...

I presume you can't bring down the old system for a few weeks to make =
the conversion.  Thus I would
suggest you get the new system configured the way you want without the =
user data and back it up so that you can restore it to that =
configuration easily.  Then once you have your approach established do a =
test conversion.  Leave the old system in production and check out the =
results of the conversion.  You may want to tweak your conversion =
approach a few times.  Then when it works fine, restore the new system =
and do the conversion for real.=